European Commission’s Renovation Wave Strategy published
Posted at 04 Nov 2020 in HIGHLIGHTS
On 14 Οctober 2020, the European Commission published its Renovation Wave Strategy to improve the energy performance of buildings. With this, the Commission initiates a series of actions to double renovation rates in the next ten years, in order to cut emissions, boost recovery and reduce energy poverty, among which:
- Introducing stronger regulations, standards and information on the energy performance of buildings:
- the 2021 review of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive will include a phased introduction of mandatory minimum energy performance standards for existing buildings and the possible introduction of a deep renovation standard, updated rules for Energy Performance Certificates, a possible extension of building renovation requirements for the public sector and a proposal on Building Renovation Passports and Digital Building Logbooks;
- the 2021 review of the Renewable Energy Directive will consider strengthening the renewable heating and cooling target and introducing a minimum renewable energy level in buildings.
- Ensuring accessible and well-targeted funding, e.g., under NextGenerationEU, simplified rules for combining different funding streams, and multiple incentives for private financing.
- Increasing skills and capacity across all relevant sectors to prepare and implement renovation projects.
- Expanding the market for innovative, sustainable or nature-based construction products, services and solutions.
- Introducing revised legislation on marketing of construction products, material reuse and material recovery.
- Creating a European Bauhaus, an interdisciplinary project co-steered by an advisory board of external experts across the EU.
- Developing neighbourhood-based approaches for local communities to integrate renewable and digital solutions and create zero-energy districts.
The changes are key and at the same time big and ambitious, therefore a strong role is foreseen for the EPBD Concerted Action!